|Midwestern Dhamma Refuge
grounded in contemplative practice
for a peaceful, just, & sustainable society
On August 16th 2006, we finalized the purchase of 45 acres outside Norwalk, Wisconsin. After many years of looking forward to a wooded, rural residence for study-practice and saving donations from around the world, Liberation Park has taken a big new step. This undeveloped property is quite beautiful with woods, stream, fields, and critters (see images). In June 2007, we purchased adjoining 25 acres that fill out our little valley.
Work completed in previous years: 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2012 | 2018 | Future
Pending funds and other support, we will take our time to plan carefully, live simply, nurture the environment, and build appropriately.
- First hermitage for year-round use.
- Boundary & pasture fencing.
- The Guest House and Garden Hermitage were finished, furnished, and have been in use since.
- 12 kwh Solar Array to be installed in Spring. Will power the geothermal system and meet most of our electrical needs
- Landscaping around Guest House. Rain Garden. Using native species.
- hook up electricity (temporary installation completed)
- build storage shed (completed)
- build first cabin (multi-purpose) [foundation completed, images of progress]
- build two platforms & frames for tent cabins [completed]
- build outhouse for composting toilet [completed]
- plant inventory & ecological assessments [begun, on-going]
- sink well [completed September]
- install pump & basic plumbing [completed September]
- permanent electrical hookup [completed September]
- build barn for horse housing this winter [roughly completed November]
- finish multi-purpose cabin [made further progress]
- build deer fence for veggie garden [completed June]
- dig & plant garden plots [completed July]
- finish barn details [completed July]
- prepare tipi poles [completed November]
- Complete multi-purpose cabin: this is our main focus for 2009 [exterior largely completed] More details here.
- Build platform & set up tipi (completed)
- Complete multi-purpose cabin: this is a primary focus for 2010, funds permitting. Most of the work is inside (under the good roof we put up last fall).
More details here.
- Root cellar to house pressure tank (for cabin & other plumbing) and store produce from the garden (done)
- Septic field so that we can plumb the cabin (done)
- Leveled and gravelled the driveway
After a year's delay due to illness, we managed these projects:
- Caretakers cottage: Jo Marie & Santikaro moved in early in the year and completed most of the inside work. More details here.
- Wood shed to keep cottage's wood supply dry
- Further driveway improvements