dedicated to a peaceful & just society
grounded in contemplative & spiritual practice
Retreatants must take care of their own food purchasing, preparation, & clean up. The place for storage & cooking is in the shed near the garden, root cellar, & caretakers cottage. Dishes are washed at the spigot in front of the root cellar. This setup is more or less comfortable depending on the weather and somewhat more convenient than camping. Keep menus simple & easy to prepare.
For the most part, bring what you need except for the following:
- The shed has a small frig. Dry foods are kept in coolers for protection from rodents.
- There's a two-burner propane camp stove for cooking and a coffee maker.
- We have basic cooking utensils, though nothing fancy or elaborate.
- When available or in season, we are happy to share veggies from the garden, foraged veggies, apples from our many trees, and duck eggs. When you make arrangements to stay here, we'll inform you what's available.
- Food can be purchased from local food stands (in season), at stores in Sparta & Tomah, and at Co-ops in La Crosse & Viroqua.
We ask that you keep your menu simple.
This cookshed is also a tool shed. It's use for cooking is makeshift. Once funds are raised, we will build a guesthouse or similar facilty with proper cooking and dining space. Please consider contributing so that this beautiful valley can be a contemplative refuge for many more seekers of the way.