We got a lot done last Fall and hope to make the cabin inhabitable by this Fall. While funding isn't enough to do everything we want, we will be able to finish outside details and do a great deal of the inside (insulation, wiring, walls, & floors), enough to move in.
Cabin progress summer 2009 (photos) & more images in regular Blog entries (2009 and continuing).
Thank You Dharma Zephyr Sangha!
|install doors; some exterior work|
|interior: install stove, insulation|
|battens, soffits, & other exterior details|
|front & back stairways|
|water to utilities building & external hydrants|
|ceilings & floors|
|cabinets & shelves|
|other interior details|
|kitchen appliances & cupboards|
|updated schedule of projects|
|septic field for the property (pending funds = $10,000)|
|external plumbing to cabin & internal plumbing (depends on septic)|
|solar water heater|
All of the above depend on causes & conditions: weather, help from friends, our good health, funding, etc. We will do what we can do. If things go as we hope, we'll be waking up in the cabin many mornings this coming winter.
|June-July||foundation for kitchen & bathroom; decking|
|September||wall & roof framing|
|October||wall & roof sheathing; metal roof; windows;|
To do our part in response to the likelihood of catastrophic climate change, we will make this building fairly efficient & will not load it with energy draining devices. Its design includes a couple passive solar ideas. As soon as we can afford to do so, we will install solar panels for electricity & solar collectors for water heating. While the expense of doing these sooner than later will involve putting off other things, we consider energy responsibility a priority. And that will involve lobbying our local electricity co-op.
At the end of 2008, we realized that the pace of work & funding required a modification of our plans regarding the future kitchen & utility building. As that facility will be happening slower than we hoped, we decided to include some cooking & bathing facilities in the cabin. This expansion of the cabin plans required adding to the foundation & flooring that was completed in 2008. That foundation extension was completed by the summer of 2009, after which we erected the walls and finally the roof.